Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A winding, bending, or turning; curvature; inflection.
- n. Want of rectitude; dishonesty; perverseness; obliquity of conduct.
- n. Physical deformity.
- n. The state of being crooked
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The condition or quality of being crooked; hence, deformity of body or of mind; deviation from moral rectitude; perverseness.
- n. a tortuous and twisted shape or position
- n. the quality of being deceitful and underhanded
- n. having or distinguished by crooks or curves or bends or angles
“Now sticks are bent by the fire, because that draws the moisture, and so the crookedness is a violent distortion; but the natural heat nourishes and preserves the body.”
“He may be innocent of one kind of crookedness, and be so mixed up in another that he cannot prove he is innocent of either.”
“In the many poolrooms then existing throughout the country and especially in the larger cities great sums of money were wagered on the result of the various contests, and as a result "crookedness" on the part of various players was being charged, and though these charges were vigorously denied by those interested the denials carried but little weight in view of the in-and-out performances of the teams in which they were engaged.”
“He had one redeeming feature, however -- a pair of blue eyes that looked straight at you and made you feel that there was no "crookedness" behind them.”
“crookedness" of others 'crooked little homes and cats, and straighten our own soap dishes every time we pass them?”
“crookedness" of others' crooked little homes and cats, and straighten our own soap dishes every time we pass them?”
“Since Doral, there had been a steady regression in ball striking back to the kind of crookedness that characterized his 2004 season, during which he was learning Haney’s unique principles.”
“He has a way of looking straight at one with utmost frankness while he talks, and yet it is at such moments I get most strongly the impression of crookedness.”
“We had not believed our government was capable of such folly and crookedness.”
Looking for tweets for crookedness.