from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Nonsense; humbug.
- n. A deception; a swindle.
- transitive v. To swindle; cheat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. nonsense
- n. deception
- v. To swindle or cheat
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A freak; a trick; a lie.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A freak; a trick; an imposition or deception.
- To cheat out of (money), as in making or receiving change or the like.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. deceive somebody
- n. a swindle in which you cheat at gambling or persuade a person to buy worthless property
Probably of Scandinavian origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)