from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See shell game.
- n. One who operates a thimblerig.
- transitive v. To swindle with or as if with a thimblerig.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A game of skill which requires the bettor to guess under which of three small cups (or thimbles) a pea-sized object has been placed after the party operating the game rapidly rearranges them, providing opportunity for sleight-of-hand trickery; a shell game.
- n. One operating such a game.
- v. To cheat in the thimblerig game.
- v. To cheat by trickery.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sleight-of-hand trick played with three small cups, shaped like thimbles, and a small ball or little pea.
- transitive v. To swindle by means of small cups or thimbles, and a pea or small ball placed under one of them and quickly shifted to another, the victim laying a wager that he knows under which cup it is; hence, to cheat by any trick.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sleight-of-hand trick played with three small cups shaped like thimbles, and a small ball or pea.
- To cheat by means of thimblerig, or sleight of hand.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a swindling sleight-of-hand game; victim guesses which of three things a pellet is under
From thimble + rig (Wiktionary)