American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A penalty such as a fine.
- v. To penalize by fining or demanding forfeiture.
- v. To acquire by trickery or deception.
- v. To defraud or swindle.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fine or other penalty imposed on a person for some offense or misdemeanor, usually a pecuniary fine.
- n. A blemish; a defect.
- n. Synonyms Amercement, forfeit, forfeiture, penalty, fine.
- To punish by fine or forfeiture; deprive of some possession as a penalty; deprive: formerly with either the crime or the criminal as object, now only with the latter: followed by in or of before the thing: as, to mulct a person in $300; to mulct a person of something.
- To punish, in general.
- n. law A fine or penalty, especially a pecuniary one.
- v. To impose such a fine or penalty.
- v. To swindle (someone) out of money.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A fine or penalty, esp. a pecuniary punishment or penalty.
- n. obsolete A blemish or defect.
- v. To punish for an offense or misdemeanor by imposing a fine or forfeiture, esp. a pecuniary fine; to fine.
- v. obsolete Hence, to deprive of; to withhold by way of punishment or discipline.
- v. impose a fine on
- v. deprive of by deceit
- n. money extracted as a penalty
- From Latin mulcta, from Proto-Italic. (Wiktionary)
- From Middle English multen, to fine, from Latin multāre, mulctāre, from mulcta, fine. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“My remark was an epitogram -- an axis -- a kind of mulct'em in parvo.”
“The American taxpayer was duped and mulct to little avail.”
“From the Mirza title, it appears the Qandahar Police Chief may not have been relying on physical coercion as much as accountant-based or bookkeeping tactics to mulct the local merchant. back”
“Abd al-Rahman's textual reforms resulted in another version of widespread economic malaise, one with a coercive literati using innovative state documents and records to mulct merchants, extort office holders, and extract inordinate amounts of resources from the general population.”
“I wouldn't want ya ta get run over by a street-car. mulct Robinson for cash, and then exploit his painting hobby for more.”
“Thereupon I taught her that in every well-constituted city the citizens are not content merely to pass good laws, but they further choose them guardians of the laws,208 whose function as inspectors is to praise the man whose acts are law-abiding, or to mulct some other who offends against the law.”
“As where a law exacteth a pecuniary mulct of them that take the name of God in vain, the payment of the mulct is not the price of a dispensation to swear, but the punishment of the transgression of a law indispensable.”
“It is the act of the assembly because voted by the major part; and if it be a crime, the assembly may be punished, as far forth as it is capable, as by dissolution, or forfeiture of their letters (which is to such artificial and fictitious bodies, capital) or, if the assembly have a common stock, wherein none of the innocent members have propriety, by pecuniary mulct.”
“If he come into debt by contract, or mulct, the case is the same.”
“And though the assembly have right to impose mulct upon any of their members that shall break the laws they make; yet out of the colony itself, they have no right to execute the same.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘mulct’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
An arcade of artifice and deception.
Long ago, I learned a useful habit from a good friend: Every time he looked up a word in his dictionary, he’d put a mark next to it. His explanation for this was vague at best, but I understood a...
U Gotta Know These.......
Words that are new to me.
My Favorite Words
Looking for tweets for mulct.