American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A statement, especially one intended to deceive, that omits some of the facts necessary for a full description or account.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A proposition or statement only partly true, or which conveys only part of the truth.
- n. A deceptive statement, especially one that is only partly true, is incomplete, (misrepresents reality by telling part of the truth), or alters the time sequence of truths.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. a statement only partially true, or which gives only a part of the truth.
- n. a partially true statement, especially one intended to deceive or mislead.
- n. a partially true statement intended to deceive or mislead
- half- + truth (Wiktionary)
“In fact, we should get rid of the normal understanding/reasonable person test in all contexts, and permit half-truth frauds on consumers and voters everywhere!”
“Ehrlich accused O'Malley of using a half-truth to attack the former administration's record.”
““Why would one ever choose to tell the whole truth when a half-truth is so much more creative?””
“Just as equating yoga with only asana is a half-truth more like a 1/8th-truth, so too is ignoring the spiritual, metaphysical Truths upon which yoga rests.”
“One of the reasons I am writing this book," she avers, "is that I came to feel, especially as I saw the real, not-for-prime-time struggles of much older friends, that I was presenting a half-truth that amounted to a lie.”
“The truth, a half-truth, or a lie could be employed, whichever served best in the circumstances.”
“Can't wait to see these fear mongering, half-truth ads on TV.”
“Again, more spin and half-truth from the Party of Satan - the NeoCons.”
“And, by the way, a half-truth counts as a lie. joe m”
“Stagliano: It seems like a half-truth when people say I don't have any regrets.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘half-truth’.
you know that thing where the Eskimos have 50 words for snow?
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
are a lot of these halfs half-thought-out?
Looking for tweets for half-truth.