from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Vulgar, lewdly humorous language or joking or an instance of it.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Joking or humorous language done in a vulgar or lewd fashion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The talk of a ribald; low, vulgar language; indecency; obscenity; lewdness; -- now chiefly applied to indecent language, but formerly, as by Chaucer, also to indecent acts or conduct.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The qualities or acts of a ribald; licentious or foul language; ribald conversation; obscenity; indecency.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. ribald humor
- n. behavior or language bordering on indelicacy
Middle English; From ribald. (Wiktionary)