from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Sexual intercourse between partners who are not married to each other.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. sexual intercourse, especially on the part of an unmarried person.
- n. The act of such illicit sexual intercourse between a man and a woman which does not by law amount to adultery.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Unlawful sexual intercourse on the part of an unmarried person; the act of such illicit sexual intercourse between a man and a woman as does not by law amount to adultery.
- n. Adultery.
- n. Incest.
- n. Idolatry.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An arching; the forming of a vault or convexity; a hollowing, vaulting, or arching over; a cameration.
- n. The state of being fornicated or vaulted.
- n. The act of illicit sexual intercourse on the part of an unmarried person with a person of the opposite sex, whether married or unmarried.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. voluntary sexual intercourse between persons not married to each other
- n. extramarital sex that willfully and maliciously interferes with marriage relations
Coined between 1300 and 1350 Middle English fornicacioun from Late Latin fornicātiōn- (s. of fornicātiō). (Wiktionary)