American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act of killing an infant.
- n. The practice of killing newborn infants.
- n. One who kills an infant.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who kills an infant.
- n. The killing of an infant; specifically, the destruction of a child, whether newly born, in the course of parturition, or still in utero; child-murder. In Christian and Hebrew communities infanticide has always been regarded as not less criminal than any other kind of murder; but in most others, in both ancient and modern times, it has been practised and regarded as even excusable, and in some enjoined and legally performed, as in cases of congenital weakness or deformity among some of the communities of ancient Greece.
- n. The murder of an infant.
- n. The murder of a child by a parent; filicide.
- n. The murderer of a child: a person who has committed infanticide.
- n. zoology The killing of a young, immature animal by a mature adult of the same species.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The murder of an infant born alive; the murder or killing of a newly born or young child; child murder.
- n. One who commits the crime of infanticide; one who kills an infant.
- n. murdering an infant
- n. a person who murders an infant
- From infant + -cide. (Wiktionary)
- Late Latin īnfanticīdium, the killing of a child and īnfānticīda, killer of a child : Latin īnfāns, īnfant-, infant; see infant + Latin -cīdium and -cīda, -cide. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“If infanticide is code for abortion, the moderate position is that it should be legal in many circumstances, but with more restrictions than there are now.”
“Female infanticide is the practice of abandoning or killing female children in areas where male children are valued more.”
“Italian police are investigating the case for “homicide” because infanticide is illegal in Italy.”
“Considering the simple and quite verifiable fact that the Christian bible recognizes the 'Old Testament 'as being divinely inspired (indeed, many Christians believe the bible to be the inerrant word of god), we may pose the simple question to Christians (and Jews, as it turns out) as to whether infanticide is ethically or morally acceptable.”
“ProWomanProLife » Mother wrongly convicted of infanticide is acquitted”
“Mother wrongly convicted of infanticide is acquitted My goodness, what a horrible mistake to make.”
“Mother wrongly convicted of infanticide is acquitted”
“Rather than strain certain Psalms or passages from Isaiah into anti-abortion proof texts, I said to myself, I know Christians have been opposed to abortion and infanticide from the beginning.”
“That we know this kind of story plays out in the real world, that we know infanticide is a very real problem (think of female infanticide in rural India, for example), does not mean that this private narrative remains pathetic; regardless of such knowledge, we are being presented with a disjunction, a deficiency of reason.”
“The vast majority of defendants in infanticide and concealment of birth cases in British and colonial courts shared a similar profile: they were young, unmarried, plebeian or working-class women, very often servants.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘infanticide’.
Suicide, infanticide, fraticide, you name it.
of killing or a killer
aborticide to weedicide
Words ending in "cide"
Looking for tweets for infanticide.