from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The practice or condition of having a single sexual partner during a period of time.
- n. The practice or condition of being married to only one person at a time.
- n. The practice of marrying only once in a lifetime.
- n. Zoology The condition of having only one mate during a breeding season or during the breeding life of a pair.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A form of sexual bonding involving a permanent pair bond between two beings.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Single marriage; marriage with but one person, husband or wife, at the same time; -- opposed to
polygamy. Also, one marriage only during life; -- opposed to deuterogamy.
- n. State of being paired with a single mate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The practice of marrying only once, or the principle which upholds that practice; the principle that forbids remarriage after the death of a former husband or wife: opposed to digamy. See bigamy, 2.
- n. The condition of being married to only one person at one time: opposed to bigamy or polygamy. See bigamy, 1.
- n. In zoology, the habit of having only one mate; the habit of living in pairs; the paired state.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. having only one spouse at a time
Moral discussions of living together before marriage, and even the word monogamy itself, sound quaint nowadays, relics of a distant past.
To watch this film and somehow see it as an ode to monogamy is to ignore the entire film.
Now, though it be true that Nature's ideal is that which we call monogamy, it may be perfectly true that we have not yet reached that level of morality which makes that condition universally practicable.
I would say that monogamy is exceedingly rare in human nature as well.
Yet monogamy is exceedingly rare in the natural world …
In my own life, I've experienced the incredible treasures long-term monogamy can bestow, and I would wish those blessings on anyone.
There was a time when I would have said that long-term monogamy is the ideal for all couples, and that sex outside of marriage is immoral.
If monogamy is in fact the goal, and something that we still aspire to - then are we Millennials going to be able to do it?
But make no mistake; JL King says monogamy is a fallacy.
If he believes in monogamy and you lie about being single ... well, you just manipulated him into violating his own moral code.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.