from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The practice or condition of having a single sexual partner during a period of time.
- n. The practice or condition of being married to only one person at a time.
- n. The practice of marrying only once in a lifetime.
- n. Zoology The condition of having only one mate during a breeding season or during the breeding life of a pair.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A form of sexual bonding involving a permanent pair bond between two beings.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Single marriage; marriage with but one person, husband or wife, at the same time; -- opposed to
polygamy. Also, one marriage only during life; -- opposed to deuterogamy.
- n. State of being paired with a single mate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The practice of marrying only once, or the principle which upholds that practice; the principle that forbids remarriage after the death of a former husband or wife: opposed to digamy. See bigamy, 2.
- n. The condition of being married to only one person at one time: opposed to bigamy or polygamy. See bigamy, 1.
- n. In zoology, the habit of having only one mate; the habit of living in pairs; the paired state.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. having only one spouse at a time
From mono- + -gamy (Wiktionary)