from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition or quality of being pure or chaste.
- n. Virginity.
- n. Virtuous character.
- n. Celibacy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of abstaining from sexual intercourse before or outside of marriage; avoidance of sexual sins; the quality of being chaste; moral purity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being chaste; purity of body; freedom from unlawful sexual intercourse.
- n. Moral purity.
- n. The unmarried life; celibacy.
- n. Chasteness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being chaste; the state of being guiltless of unlawful sexual intercourse; sexual purity.
- n. Celibacy; the unmarried state.
- n. Abstinence from lawful indulgence of sexual intercourse; continence due to a religious motive.
- n. Freedom from obscenity, depravity, or impurity, as in thought, language, or life; moral purity.
- n. Purity and simplicity of style in writing.—
- n. In art, freedom from meretricious ornament or affectation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. abstaining from sexual relations (as because of religious vows)
- n. morality with respect to sexual relations
Middle English chastite, from Old French chastete, from Latin castitās, from castus, pure; see chaste.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)