from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or state of being married; marriage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. marriage or the state of being married
- n. the marriage ceremony
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The union of man and woman as husband and wife; the nuptial state; marriage; wedlock.
- n. A kind of game at cards played by several persons.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The relation of husband and wife, with especial reference to what concerns the latter; the state of marriage or wedlock; nuptial union; conjugal partnership.
- n. The act of marriage; entrance upon the married state by a formal ceremony or procedure: as, the solemnization of matrimony by a clergyman. In the Roman Catholic Church matrimony is regarded as one of the sacraments.
- n. Wife.
- n. A game with cards.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce)
- n. the ceremony or sacrament of marriage
Middle English, from Old French matrimoine, from Latin mātrimōnium, from māter, mātr-, mother; see māter- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)