American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act or state of being married; marriage.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The relation of husband and wife, with especial reference to what concerns the latter; the state of marriage or wedlock; nuptial union; conjugal partnership.
- n. The act of marriage; entrance upon the married state by a formal ceremony or procedure: as, the solemnization of matrimony by a clergyman. In the Roman Catholic Church matrimony is regarded as one of the sacraments.
- n. Wife.
- n. A game with cards. Synonyms and Wedlock, Wedding, etc. See
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The union of man and woman as husband and wife; the nuptial state; marriage; wedlock.
- n. A kind of game at cards played by several persons.
- n. the state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce)
- n. the ceremony or sacrament of marriage
- Middle English, from Old French matrimoine, from Latin mātrimōnium, from māter, mātr-, mother; see māter- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“After all, fidelity in matrimony is voluntary, too …/sarcasm off”
“It had previously said that it was open to registering same-sex unions but wanted to reserve the term matrimony for heterosexual marriages.”
“But some clergy had questioned whether church ceremonies - and the term matrimony - should be reserved for heterosexual unions.”
“- 829 Telltale Signs Infidelity doesn t have to mean your matrimony is over COPING WITH INFIDELITY IN MARRIAGE Director: Harry Winer Overview That s since affairs have been so common in matrimony Greg Swenson, Ph With our guidance, learn what to do when we design your partner or associate of doubt or disloyalty as well as what to do when we want to come clean about your own affairs, either carried out in Infidelity expert Ruth Houston s comments, observations, as well as insights upon popular doubt or disloyalty issues in a headlines Coping with Infidelity: Part 1 How Do Affairs Begin?”
“Upon my poetical veracity I do not see the strength of your objection, but as matrimony is a very tender subject, as well as a longwinded one, I had better give you Mr Pitt's answer when he did not choose to give any, 'I have not made up my mind.”
“Traditional family values, I have taken it to mean, that the holy matrimony is sanctified.”
“Randy: Traditional family values, I have taken it to mean, that the holy matrimony is sanctified.”
“Nevertheless, GIs shared with the American home front a remarkable faith in matrimony, looking homeward for the peace, security, and affection they craved.”
“Speaking of growing up, the DC writers seem to be making a lot of Dick Grayson not joining his peers in matrimony and fatherhood.”
“It was here where the infamous Reverend Alexander Keith joined in matrimony as many as six thousand couples a year in a little chapel of his own with a church porch close to Curzon Chapel.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘matrimony’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words that sound like they might be the names of elements of the periodic table, but that aren't. Many of the words listed here were actually proposed as names for substances their creators thought...
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
Here she comes now sayin' Mony Mony...
Words from a 2005 'Nanny McPhee' film
Looking for tweets for matrimony.