from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An unsuitable alliance, especially in marriage.
- n. A mésalliance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An unsuitable alliance, especially an unsuitable marriage
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A marriage with a person of inferior rank or social station; an improper alliance; a mesalliance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An improper alliance or association; specifically, a marriage relation considered as degrading to one of the parties, owing to the inferior birth or standing of the other: in the latter sense often used in the French form, mésalliance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an unsuitable alliance (especially with regard to marriage)
Sorry, no etymologies found.