from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The interbreeding of different races or of persons of different racial backgrounds.
- n. Cohabitation, sexual relations, or marriage involving persons of different races.
- n. A mixture or hybridization: "There was musical miscegenation at a time when segregation was the common rule” ( Don McLeese).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The mixing or blending of race in marriage or breeding, interracial marriage.
- n. A mixing or blending, especially one which is considered to be inappropriate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mixing of races; amalgamation, as by intermarriage of black and white.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Mixture or amalgamation of races: applied especially to sexual union between individuals of the black and white races.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. reproduction by parents of different races (especially by white and non-white persons)
Latin miscēre, to mix; see meik- in Indo-European roots + genus, race; see genə- in Indo-European roots + -ation.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin misceō ("mix") + genus ("race"). (Wiktionary)