from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition or practice of having more than one wife at one time.
- n. Zoology A mating pattern in which a male mates with more than one female in a single breeding season.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state or practice of having several wives at the same time; plurality of wives; marriage to several wives - H. Spencer
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or practice of having several wives at the same time; marriage to several wives.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Marriage or cohabitation of one man with more than one woman at the same time; polygamy as practised by the male.
- n. Of a male animal, the state of having more than one female mate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. having more than one wife at a time
From Greek πολύ (poly, "many") + γυνή (gyne, "woman, wife"). (Wiktionary)