from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The murdering of one's father, mother, or other near relative.
- n. One who commits such a murder.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who kills a relative, especially a parent.
- n. The killing of a relative, especially a parent.
- n. The killing of a ruler, or other authority figure; treason.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Properly, one who murders one's own father; in a wider sense, one who murders one's father or mother or any ancestor.
- n. The act or crime of murdering one's own father or any ancestor.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who murders his father or mother.
- n. One who murders any ancestor or any one to whom he owes reverence; also, in old use, one who kills his child.
- n. The murder of a parent or of one to whom reverence is due.
- n. Figuratively, one who commits treason against his country.
- n. Figuratively, the crime of treason against one's country.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who kills his or her parent
- n. the murder of your own father or mother
Latin parricīda and parricīdium : pāri-, parri-, kin + -cīda, -cīdium, -cide.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle French parricide, from Latin parricida, of uncertain origin. (Wiktionary)