American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Archaic Indulgence in or pursuit of sexual activity.
- n. Archaic The act of sexual intercourse.
- n. Archaic The act or sport of hunting; the chase.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or exercise of hunting; the sports of the chase; hunting.
- n. Beasts of the chase; game.
- n. A kennel for hunting-dogs.
- n. Gratification of the sexual desire.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Sexual love; sexual intercourse; coition.
- n. The art, act, or practice of hunting; the sports of the chase.
- Mediaeval Latin veneria, from venus (“love”). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English venerie, from Old French, from Medieval Latin veneria, from Latin venus, vener-, desire, love; see wen-1 in Indo-European roots.Middle English venerie, from Old French, from vener, to hunt, from Latin vēnārī; see wen-1 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Others again understand it of preposterous venery, which is absurd: every ancient law-giver framed his code to increase the true wealth of the people — population — and severely punished all processes, like onanism, which impeded it.”
“The venery was a little further off, drawing toward the park.”
“Both writers confuse excision of the nymphæ with circumcision of the clitoris (Zambúr) Al-Siyúti (Kitab al-Izá 'fi'Ilm al-Nikah) has a very interesting chapter on Sapphic venery, which is well known to Europe as proved by such works as "Gamiani," and "Anandria ou Confessions de Mademoiselle Sappho, avec la Clef,”
“Others again understand it of preposterous venery, which is absurd: every ancient law-giver framed his code to increase the true wealth of the people -- population -- and severely punished all processes, like onanism, which impeded it.”
“How birds are affected in this kind, appears out of Aristotle, he will have them to sing ob futuram venerem for joy or in hope of their venery which is to come.”
“Both writers confuse excision of the nymphæ with circumcision of the clitoris (Zambúr) Al – Siyúti (Kitab al-Izá’ fi’Ilm al-Nikah) has a very interesting chapter on Sapphic venery, which is well known to Europe as proved by such works as”
“While the Kennedy's -- Dad, John, Teddy and Bobby -- may seem like exemplars of the sex gambols, there were others, many, many others, equally blatant, but much more discreet, who used their powerful positions to exercise the venery.”
“I suggested to the most senior editor on gay topics that I should go undercover to "gay baths" and "backrooms" (as such places were called) to chronicle the somber scenes of venery daily enacted therein.”
“For years, as a child, I had believed that venery was one of the seven deadly sins, like envy, greed, and sloth.”
“I'd never felt less like venery in my life, not in that ghastly place, after the sights I'd seen, and with that obscene mob about me; even apart from that, she did not prepossess-which shows how wrong you can be.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘venery’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
A list of words I find unusual and interesting.
A selection of words from the epic by Victor Hugo
For those who wish no words were ever forgotten
Words taken from Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.
Well everyone's lists are favourites or pets or useful terms, no? These are mine.
... as in "by James Joyce"
Words to remember from Nabokov's "Lolita"
Looking for tweets for venery.