American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Maine The sport of hunting: "Usually any kind of a tight camp will be kept available through our gunning . . . season” ( John Gould).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art or practice of shooting with guns; especially, the sport or pursuit of shooting game.
- n. Synonyms Gunning, Hunting, Shooting. In the United States these terms are loosely used as interchangeable; more strictly, gunning and shooting are confined to the pursuit of feathered and small game, and hunting to the pursuit of larger game. In England hunting means chasing foxes or stags with horse and hounds, or hares with beagles.
- v. present participle of gun.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act or practice of hunting or shooting game with a gun.
“The idea of punt gunning is to sneak up on rafted ducks and geese in a low profile boat and shoot the flock on the water at about 40 yards with a lot of shot from a very big gun.”
“Running and gunning is how it's done on Barbour, Choccolocco, Blue Spring, Hollins, Lowndes, Scotch, and Black Warrior WMAs.”
“Bryant came out gunning from the start, scoring 13 points on 4-of-6 shooting in the first quarter.”
“Machine-gunning" is how Jean-Marc refers to the way I take photos.”
“Jason Hernandez, Apodaca and Norman Richardson combined for 31 of Hofstra's 33 first-half points as the Pride couldn't work the ball inside and remained content with gunning from the outside.”
“When I grow up," I said after a minute, "I'm goin 'gunning for them.”
“The things this man had experienced astounded me: he had run in the Olympics and crossed paths with Hitler; lived through ferocious aerial combat and bombardment on the ground; endured a plane crash, forty-seven days on a tiny life raft, shark attacks, a typhoon and a machine gunning from a Japanese bomber; and, after his capture, joined a daring prisoner underground while enslaved in Japanese POW camps.”
“Mumbai is the richest city in India and the idea of gunning down criminals on its streets, where expensive foreign cars now compete with rickshaws and overcrowded buses for space, seems almost unimaginable.”
“So the Dems are upset because the Republicans are "gunning" for Obama.”
“Weren't the democrats "gunning" for George Bush for 8 years?”
Looking for tweets for gunning.