American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Hunting of game with falcons.
- n. The art of training falcons for hunting.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art of training falcons to attack wild fowl or game.
- n. The sport of pursuing wild fowl or game by means of falcons or hawks. Commonly called hawking.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The art of training falcons or hawks to pursue and attack wild fowl or game.
- n. The sport of taking wild fowl or game by means of falcons or hawks.
- n. the art of training falcons to hunt and return
- Alteration of French fauconnerie, from Old French, from faucon, falcon; see falcon. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“After this I was taken to a new toy of his and the Squire's, which he termed the falconry, where there were several unhappy birds in durance, completing their education.”
“After this I was taken to a new toy of his and the squire's, which he termed the falconry, where there were several unhappy birds in durance, completing their education.”
“Cathy Lanier's Maryland neighbor dabbles in falconry (Examiner) 19-year-old shot dead in Petworth (Crime Scene)”
““When I got seated the thing was up over my face, as in falconry,” he continues.”
“The captain of the falconry is the Chevalier du Forget; the captain of the boar-hunt is the Marquis d'Ecquevilly; the superintendent of edifices is the Comte d'Angevillier; the grand-equerry is the Prince de Lambesc; the master of the hounds is the Duc de Penthièvre; the grand-master of ceremonies is the Marquis de”
“The writer Thomas McGuane calls falconry “one of man’s oldest and most mysterious alliances in the natural world.””
“A site already established as a wedding venue, it will now be welcoming visitors Mondays to Fridays, offering displays of ancient pastimes and sports, such as falconry and field archery.”
“A top-notch political communications consultant led a seminar on how to advance gay rights, activities, such as falconry, educates participants on environmental issues, and auctions, such as a trip to build clean water wells in Ethiopia with Charity: Water, try to inspire life-long service.”
“Little shop-talk was recognizable as participants shared stories about snowboarding, falconry classes, and a lecture on rebuilding public education.”
“Summit Basecamp included traditional talks and panels, as well as snowball fights, yoga classes, falconry demonstrations, musical performances, dance parties, and a film premier.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘falconry’.
Things and situations that draw and inspire humans and/or animals, to interact with one another.
my favourite era
What did i *just* say?
Just what it sounds like.
Words from a 2010 'Remember Me' film.
Looking for tweets for falconry.