from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Superior skill or ability.
- n. Superior strength, courage, or daring, especially in battle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Skillfulness and manual ability; adroitness or dexterity.
- n. Distinguished bravery or courage, especially in battle; heroism
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Distinguished bravery; valor; especially, military bravery and skill; gallantry; intrepidity; fearlessness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Excellence; virtue; goodness; integrity.
- n. Bravery; valor; particularly, military bravery combined with skill; gallantry; daring.
- n. A feat or deed of valor; a valiant act.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a superior skill that you can learn by study and practice and observation
Even in the middle of their bloodstained feudal period, in the year 597 B. C.-forty-six years before Confucius was born-Prince Chuang of the State of Ch'u, proclaimed: "The ideograph for 'prowess' is made up of the signs 'to stay' and a 'Spear' -- in other words, the cessation of hostilities."
Are we supposed to believe that defensive prowess is making up the difference?
While it won't be clear until Election Day, the state Democratic Party's fundraising prowess is expected to give it a significant edge in organizing and capitalizing on its early-voting effort.
And Iott's and the Wikings 'whitewashed account of their military prowess is beyond absurd.
There was more, but what the world will remember is: "Andrew's prowess is legendary."
His sees convictions confirmed when he, too, falls prey to polio and athletic prowess is forever stripped from him.
An investment manager's prowess is often measured using two Greek letters, beta and alpha.
Another impressive display of American technological prowess is at hand, but you'd hardly know it, so bitter the debate over the nation's impending political path.
That was our most recent election news cycle, following the one in which Paladino bought time to tell us that when it came to sex, Cuomo's "prowess is legendary."
Even so, apply it to a character like The Mentalist (CBS, 9 ET/PT), a man whose prowess is built upon his powers of observation, and it does offer more potential than the sweeps norm.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.