American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Superior skill or ability.
- n. Superior strength, courage, or daring, especially in battle.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Excellence; virtue; goodness; integrity.
- n. Bravery; valor; particularly, military bravery combined with skill; gallantry; daring.
- n. A feat or deed of valor; a valiant act.
- n. Skillfulness and manual ability; adroitness or dexterity.
- n. Distinguished bravery or courage, especially in battle; heroism
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Distinguished bravery; valor; especially, military bravery and skill; gallantry; intrepidity; fearlessness.
- n. a superior skill that you can learn by study and practice and observation
- From Old French proeche (Modern French: prouesse) (Wiktionary)
- Middle English prowesse, from Old French proesse, from prud, prou, brave; see proud. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Even in the middle of their bloodstained feudal period, in the year 597 B. C.-forty-six years before Confucius was born-Prince Chuang of the State of Ch'u, proclaimed: "The ideograph for 'prowess' is made up of the signs 'to stay' and a 'Spear' -- in other words, the cessation of hostilities.”
“Are we supposed to believe that defensive prowess is making up the difference?”
“While it won't be clear until Election Day, the state Democratic Party's fundraising prowess is expected to give it a significant edge in organizing and capitalizing on its early-voting effort.”
“And Iott's and the Wikings 'whitewashed account of their military prowess is beyond absurd.”
“There was more, but what the world will remember is: "Andrew's prowess is legendary.”
“His sees convictions confirmed when he, too, falls prey to polio and athletic prowess is forever stripped from him.”
“An investment manager's prowess is often measured using two Greek letters, beta and alpha.”
“Another impressive display of American technological prowess is at hand, but you'd hardly know it, so bitter the debate over the nation's impending political path.”
“That was our most recent election news cycle, following the one in which Paladino bought time to tell us that when it came to sex, Cuomo's "prowess is legendary.”
“Even so, apply it to a character like The Mentalist (CBS, 9 ET/PT), a man whose prowess is built upon his powers of observation, and it does offer more potential than the sweeps norm.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘prowess’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
I've noticed many, many words start with PRO and this is just a collection of them.
Words contained in the screenplay of Wizard of Oz, 1939 film.
Comments show the actual "line" from the film.
The words are tagged for grade-level
Temporary list is temporary.
Collecting a few words here, which are then to be alloted to other lists.
All my favourite words that I come across!
cool mint antiseptic
mostly from magoosh
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
Looking for tweets for prowess.