from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Superior skill or ability.
- n. Superior strength, courage, or daring, especially in battle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Skillfulness and manual ability; adroitness or dexterity.
- n. Distinguished bravery or courage, especially in battle; heroism
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Distinguished bravery; valor; especially, military bravery and skill; gallantry; intrepidity; fearlessness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Excellence; virtue; goodness; integrity.
- n. Bravery; valor; particularly, military bravery combined with skill; gallantry; daring.
- n. A feat or deed of valor; a valiant act.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a superior skill that you can learn by study and practice and observation
Middle English prowesse, from Old French proesse, from prud, prou, brave; see proud.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French proeche (Modern French: prouesse) (Wiktionary)