from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or quality of being proficient; competence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Ability, skill, competence.
- n. Knowledge.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Advancement; progress.
- n. The state of being proficient; the degree of advancement attained in any branch of knowledge; advance in the acquisition of any art, science, or knowledge; improvement: as, to attain great proficiency in Greek or in music.
- n. Synonyms Advance, etc. (see progress), skill.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. skillfulness in the command of fundamentals deriving from practice and familiarity
- n. the quality of having great facility and competence
From Latin proficientem, from proficere. (Wiktionary)