American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The state or quality of being proficient; competence.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Advancement; progress.
- n. The state of being proficient; the degree of advancement attained in any branch of knowledge; advance in the acquisition of any art, science, or knowledge; improvement: as, to attain great proficiency in Greek or in music.
- n. Synonyms Advance, etc. (see progress), skill.
- n. skillfulness in the command of fundamentals deriving from practice and familiarity
- n. the quality of having great facility and competence
- From Latin proficientem, from proficere. (Wiktionary)
“The only way to truly obtain proficiency is to read blogs.”
“The state, for whatever reason, the Regents, changed the definition of what they call proficiency.”
“In the language teaching world "proficiency" is rated on a scale from novice to superior, with lots of steps along the way.”
“Even if greater gains in proficiency are not made in later years, it is generally accepted that a stable faculty is one characteristic of a healthy, well performing school and that high teacher turnover is detrimental.”
“This study demonstrated that reading attitudes transfer from first to second language but as distinct from transfer of reading abilities and strategies, the influence of second language proficiency is much weaker.”
“Also road signs are symbols, not words, so English proficiency is not required.”
“Not much language proficiency is necessary in order to navigate roads ... this is why road signs have internationally recognizable symbols, shapes, colors, lights, etc. Alf off”
“Archery, golf, and shot gunning share a lot of traits both on the mental and physiological aspects, and I agree that mastering any of them will aid in proficiency for all of them.”
“How are they to teach 10th grade English when the student's incoming reading proficiency is grade 3?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘proficiency’.
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
The vocabulary of conference interpreting. I commend this list to those who want to know more about the profession and to those who wish to organize their knowledge about the profession. To aspirin...
Looking for tweets for proficiency.