from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The regulation of occurrence, pace, or coordination to achieve a desired effect, as in music, the theater, athletics, or mechanics.
- n. The synchronization of the sparking of the plugs with the movement of the pistons in an internal-combustion engine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An occurrence or event.
- n. The regulation of the pace of e.g. an athletic race, the speed of an engine, the delivery of a joke, or the occurrence of a series of events.
- n. The time when something happens.
- n. The synchronization of the firing of the spark plugs in an internal combustion engine.
- n. An instance of recording the time of something.
- v. Present participle of time.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the design and construction of machinery, the proper adjustment of the parts of any machine so that its operations will follow in a given order to produce a given result, as in the movement of the needle, shuttle, and feed of a sewing-machine in consecutive order.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the regulation of occurrence, pace, or coordination to achieve a desired effect (as in music, theater, athletics, mechanics)
- n. the time when something happens
Sorry, no etymologies found.