from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The regulation of occurrence, pace, or coordination to achieve a desired effect, as in music, the theater, athletics, or mechanics.
- n. The synchronization of the sparking of the plugs with the movement of the pistons in an internal-combustion engine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An occurrence or event.
- n. The regulation of the pace of e.g. an athletic race, the speed of an engine, the delivery of a joke, or the occurrence of a series of events.
- n. The time when something happens.
- n. The synchronization of the firing of the spark plugs in an internal combustion engine.
- n. An instance of recording the time of something.
- v. Present participle of time.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the design and construction of machinery, the proper adjustment of the parts of any machine so that its operations will follow in a given order to produce a given result, as in the movement of the needle, shuttle, and feed of a sewing-machine in consecutive order.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the regulation of occurrence, pace, or coordination to achieve a desired effect (as in music, theater, athletics, mechanics)
- n. the time when something happens
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The team that carried out the study also suspect that accuracy in timing is important to the brain processes responsible for problem solving and reasoning ...
This accuracy in timing is apparently due to the ability of the brain to pre-process all the needed setup for the action before it actually needs to occur, based on the repetitive nature of the beat.
For men, the change in timing is merely an incidental matter with few repercussions.
This difference in timing is extremely significant, for North Sea oil development is essentially a "post-1973/74 oil crisis" phenomenon.
These things happen sometimes “just because” — maybe the “karma” isn't right ... or the timing is a little bit off.
Yes I guess the timing is about right for the Republicans.
` ` Probably my timing is a little bit off and I'm a little bit slow making decisions, '' McDonald said.
I have posted at Karen's and just wish to add: the timing is awful but that is life.
Again, the players know that too our timing is a little bit off.
I agree that I do not know whether the timing is an issue or not.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.