American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To agree, as to a proposal; concur.
- n. Agreement; concurrence: reached assent on a course of action.
- n. Acquiescence; consent: gave my assent to the plan.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To admit a proposition as true; express an agreement of the mind to what is alleged or proposed; concur; acquiesce: with to before an object.
- Synonyms To agree, subscribe.
- To agree to; approve; determine.
- n. The act of the mind in admitting or agreeing to the truth of a proposition proposed for acceptance.
- n. Consent; concurrence; acquiescence; agreement to a proposal: as, the bill before the house has the assent of a great majority of the members.
- n. Accord; agreement; approval.
- n. Opinion.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To admit a thing as true; to express one's agreement, acquiescence, concurrence, or concession.
- n. The act of assenting; the act of the mind in admitting or agreeing to anything; concurrence with approval; consent; agreement; acquiescence.
- v. to agree or express agreement
- n. agreement with a statement or proposal to do something
- Old French noun assent and verb assentir (Wiktionary)
- Middle English assenten, from Old French assentir, from Latin assentārī : ad-, ad- + sentīre, to feel; see sent- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“This trait is necessary to have the correct assent of law. assent-# to agree or express agreement; "The Maestro assented to the request for an encore”
“For those nodding vigorously in assent by this point, the Decades Halloween party will include a contest for best decade-themed costume and a P-Funk tribute performance by the Clones of Funk.”
“There was a murmur of assent from the audience, and the mod gave up and finally called on one of the men ...”
“Both episodes finish with assent pacts, nonetheless assent is clearly extraneous as good as stretched in both cases; we wait for for explosions to come.”
“The royal assent is given with the words “la reine le veult”.”
“Ruth pressed her mother's hand in assent, feeling that she really did understand, though her conception was of something vague, remote, and terrible that was beyond the scope of imagination.”
“Taken together, these two models of "aesthetic culture" describe a single process, a process by which culture continually emerges anew: in the competition among cultural producers and consumers for a position of relative privilege, or "cultural capital," the collective belief, the "hope" in universal assent is reinforced; in the persistent failure of universal assent to be realized, dissent among aesthetic subjects is fueled, perpetuated, as it were, in the form of cultural competition.”
“If that concurrence and assent is not sought, then a breach between the people and our political masters of a fundamental nature is bound, sooner or later to take place.”
“The man rose in assent and prayed, whilst his wife said, “Amen,” to his prayer, when the roof clove in sunder and down fell a ruby, which lit the house with its light.”
“The need to get assent from the Chinese, and Russians, for any resolution means that there was never any chance of getting the Security Council to impose meaningful pressure on the junta.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘assent’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
Similar words meaning different things
absolute majority, absolute monarchy, abstentionism, access to informa..., acquisition of arms, action brought be..., action for annulment, action to establi..., ad hoc committee, adjournment, adjournment motion, administration and 965 more...
Key words from "The Training of a Public Speaker" by Grenville Kleiser (New York and London, 1920)
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
motion toward; addition to; nearness to
Note: can change forms
my wordnic words
Looking for tweets for assent.