American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To consent or comply passively or without protest. See Synonyms at assent.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To come to rest, or remain at rest.
- To agree; consent; tacitly assent; quietly comply or submit: as, to acquiesce in an opinion, argument, or arrangement.
- v. intransitive To rest satisfied, or apparently satisfied, or to rest without opposition and discontent (usually implying previous opposition or discontent); to accept or consent by silence or by omitting to object; — followed by "in", sometimes also by "with" and "to".
- v. intransitive To concur upon conviction; as, to acquiesce in an opinion; to assent to; usually, to concur, not heartily but so far as to forbear opposition.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To rest satisfied, or apparently satisfied, or to rest without opposition and discontent (usually implying previous opposition or discontent); to accept or consent by silence or by omitting to object; -- followed by
in, formerly also by withand to.
- v. To concur upon conviction; ; to assent to; usually, to concur, not heartily but so far as to forbear opposition.
- v. to agree or express agreement
- From Middle French acquiescer, from Latin acquiescere; ad + quiescere ("to be quiet"), from quies ("rest"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin acquiēscere : ad-, ad- + quiēscere, to rest; see kweiə- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“But if we again acquiesce we will be reduced to sad and pathetic footnotes in our accelerating transformation from a democracy to a totalitarian corporate state.”
“Off the top of my head, "acquiesce" is pretty cool.”
“Instead of me going through life hoping that God is following me around in whatever mess I find myself in this time, it’s actually him that’s leading the way through it all if I acquiesce, that is.”
“But … there are reasons why parties have developed and that is because they operate as vehicles by which like minded people can coalesce around similar ideological and/or philosophical stances and generate programmes which they can then bring to the electorate and gain acceptance (or is the term 'acquiesce'?).”
“She not only used "acquiesce" in a song way before Noel Gallagher made such a fanfare of doing so, but deployed it perfectly:”
“[If this question has to be answered, the IPKat predicts a Delphic response along the lines of "it's up to the referring court to apply its own law to the facts".] (c) in any case, is it necessary that the proprietor of a trade mark should have his trade mark registered before he can begin to "acquiesce" in the use by another of (i) an identical or (ii) a confusingly similar mark?”
“(b) is it necessary that the proprietor of a trade mark should have his trade mark registered before he can begin to "acquiesce" in the use by another of (i) an identical or”
“acquiesce" to Russian recognition of independence of the breakaway Georgian regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia.”
“The expectation has become that if they don't want to become a spinster - a word often thrown about in Egypt for any unmarried woman over 30 - women should just acquiesce.”
“Brown will not acquiesce to Palmer, even if it may become the popular thing to do.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘acquiesce’.
Music brings silence's to raging thoughts and temperament , calm, as it is our object of definite purpose.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
My favorite words to say.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 2455 more...
List of most of the words I've learned
Looking for tweets for acquiesce.