American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- pro. Used as the direct object of a verb: She saw us on the subway.
- pro. Used as the indirect object of a verb: They offered us free tickets to the show.
- pro. Used as the object of a preposition: This letter is addressed to us.
- pro. Informal Used as a predicate nominative: It's us. See Usage Note at we.
- pro. Nonstandard Used reflexively as the indirect object of a verb: We decided to get us another car. See Note at me.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- The objective case of we.
- n. An old spelling of use.
- pro. personal me and at least one other person; the objective case of we.
- pro. colloquial me
- The speakers/writers, or the speaker/writer and at least one other person.
- n. alternative spelling of µs.
GNU Webster's 1913
- pro. The persons speaking, regarded as an object; ourselves; -- the objective case of
we. See we.
- n. North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; achieved independence in 1776
- Derived from the similarity between the letter u and the Greek letter µ. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old English ūs. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Diary Entry by Alan MacDonald (about the author) yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'Let\'s use the Health Care bill as an Obama "teaching moment"'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'Let\'s use the Health Care bill as an Obama \'teaching moment\' --- not him \'teaching us\ 'but us \'teaching him\'! ”
“Think something along the lines of ¨you don't love us anymore¨ or ¨you´ve forgotten about us¨ or any other number of guilt-inducing jabs.”
“Let us not allow depression to govern * us* as it does the rest of the masses.”
“What the vanishing bees are telling us is the same thing the vanishing field birds are telling us~ we are at a critical ecologicalthresholdin our evolution and unless we take dramatic steps to change our life threatening habits&excesses and, instead, embrace ourinterconnection with nature~ theecosystem will collapse and the human being as a species willeventuallygo the way of the vanishing bees.”
“The ones that you want to use to describe me, or bean; use to create a new identity for *us* because your politics insist that refering to us as women, as female, is somehow disenfranchising to someone else?”
“Rather than learn from us or work with us, they seek to destroy us ”
“They will trade with us, they will teach us and you all know they have much to teachand they will come to our aid in times of trouble.”
“When asked in an interview in 2002 what a proper response for the US to 9-11 would be, the renowned political philosopher and activist, Noam Chomsky, answered that whatever answer one gives, it should at least satisfy the most elementary moral truism that I can think of, namely that if some act is right for us, it is right for others; if it's wrong for others, it's wrong for us.”
“He is for us, with all the infinity of his being; with all the omnipotence of his love; with all the infallibility of his wisdom; arrayed in all his divine attributes, he is for us,eternally and immutably for us; for us when yon blue skies shall be rolled up like a worn out vesture; for us throughout eternity.”
“In Jewish practice, when you first taste a new kind of fruit or vegetable, or taste it again for the first time in a new season, the blessing Shehekheyonu ve kiyemonu who has kept us alive and sustained us expresses thanksgiving for having remained alive to experience this time.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘us’.
Abbreviations & symbolic numbers
Words to be replaced by a paragraph mark if you are after terms and MWEs.
Words overused in modern pop music.
Also see ruzuzu's list: Words that should be heard in songs more often.
Universal quantifiers, totalizing pronouns and superlatives will save us ALL (and NONE)!
Being a list of words with the phrase "See Usage Note at" in their definitions. Most of these come from the American Heritage Dictionary.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
grabbable, retuiteando, leaving, fantastic, absolutely, kurwa, hella, ridic, underpass, hate, interlude, plush and 2369 more...
these are some of my favorite words...
Looking for tweets for us.