from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Noble birth or condition.
- n. The members of the nobility, especially the French nobility.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality of being noble; nobleness.
- n. The nobility; peerage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Noble birth or condition; nobility; greatness; nobleness.
- n. The nobility; persons of noble rank collectively; specifically, same as nobility, 3 .
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the state of being of noble birth
- n. members of the nobility (especially of the French nobility)
Middle English, from Old French, from noble, noble, from Latin nōbilis; see noble.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Anglo-Norman noblesse, noblesce et al., Old French noblace, nobleche et al., from noble ("noble"). (Wiktionary)