American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To correspond in form or character; be similar.
- v. To act or be in accord or agreement; comply: a computer that conforms to the manufacturer's advertising claims. See Synonyms at agree.
- v. To act in accordance with current customs or modes. See Synonyms at adapt.
- v. To bring into agreement or correspondence; make similar.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make of the same form or character; make like; adjust: with to: as, to conform anything to a model or a standard.
- To bring into harmony or correspondence; make agreeable; adapt; submit: often with a reflexive pronoun.
- To act conformably, compliantly, or in accordance: with to: as, to conform to the fashion or to custom.
- In English history, to comply with the usages of the Established Church: in this sense often used absolutely. See conformity, 3.
- v. intransitive, of persons To act in accordance with expectations; to behave in the manner of others, especially as a result of social pressure.
- v. intransitive, etc. To be in accordance with a set of specifications or regulations, or with a policy or guideline.
- v. transitive To make similar in form or nature; to make suitable for a purpose; to adapt.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of the same form; similar in import; conformable.
- v. To shape in accordance with; to make like; to bring into harmony or agreement with; -- usually with
- v. To be in accord or harmony; to comply; to be obedient; to submit; -- with
- v. (Eng. Eccl. Hist.) To comply with the usages of the Established Church; to be a conformist.
- v. be similar, be in line with
- v. adapt or conform oneself to new or different conditions
- From Middle English conformen, from Old French conformer, from Latin conformāre ("to mould, to shape after") (Wiktionary)
- Middle English conformen, from Old French conformer, from Latin cōnfōrmāre, to shape after : com-, com- + fōrmāre, to shape (from fōrma, shape). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Big Government forcing private institutions to conform is totally the way to go!”
“Sarcastro: Big Government forcing private institutions to conform is totally the way to go!”
“But the need to conform is greater among the young.”
“Ok, so your 'friend' has been drummed out of his family, perhaps the pressure on him to conform is huge but I doubt that the family will really turn their back on him.”
“Thus to me to try to overly conform is plain wrong, because you are negating part of your individuality.”
“None of this has anything much to do with pronunciation, as everyone except pedants is likely, eventually, to make the word conform to their language, in colloquial usage at least.”
“China, dine contentedly upon horse-steak in Paris, swallow their beef uncooked in Germany, maintain an unwinking gravity over the hottest curry in India, smoke their hookah gratefully in Turkey, mount an elephant in Ceylon, and, in short, conform gracefully to any native custom, however strange it may appear to him.”
Frost's Laws and By-Laws of American Society A condensed but thorough treatise on etiquette and its usages in America, containing plain and reliable directions for deportment in every situation in life.
“Such agreements shall be approved by said board only when the terms conform to the provisions of this act.”
“They pick and choose which bits of their translation of the Bible that they want to unthinkingly follow and anyone who doesn’t conform is a damned heretic.”
“I'll bet Ferlito and Monaghan have been advised, ad nauseam, about having "work done" and their seeming refusal to conform is to be applauded.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘conform’.
Use these and get promoted
Key words from "The Training of a Public Speaker" by Grenville Kleiser (New York and London, 1920)
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
verbs Adj Adv noun
Words that I do not know or unsure for toefl
words that I hate.
Looking for tweets for conform.