from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Corresponding; similar: plans that are conformable to your wishes.
- adj. Quick to comply; submissive.
- adj. Geology Of, relating to, or being strata that are parallel to each other without interruption.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having the same shape, very similar.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Corresponding in form, character, opinions, etc.; similar; like; consistent; proper or suitable; -- usually followed by to.
- adj. Disposed to compliance or obedience; ready to follow directions; quick to comply; submissive; compliant.
- adj. Parallel, or nearly so; -- said of strata in contact.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Corresponding in form, character, etc; resembling; like; similar: as, this machine is conformable to the model.
- Exhibiting harmony or conformity; agreeable; suitable; consistent; adapted; adjusted.
- Compliant; acquiescent; ready to follow directions; submissive; obsequious; disposed to obey.
- [In all the preceding senses generally followed by to, sometimes by with.]
- Properly or suitably arranged or formed; convenient.
- In geology, having the same dip and direction: said of two or more stratified beds.
- Specifically, that accepts and conforms to the usages of the Anglican Church.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. quick to comply
- adj. disposed or willing to comply
- adj. in keeping
Sorry, no etymologies found.
He takes care that his iilea be conformable to this archetype, and intends the name ihould (land for an idea fo conformable*
Abandoning a vain search after abstractions, and applying his simple formula to life, Hinton found that it enabled him to express the faith in his heart in terms conformable to reason; that it led back to, and illumined the teachings of every spiritual instructor and inspirer of mankind.
A range of specialist plastic electronics businesses are to benefit from a total of £8. 4m investment in research and development into new technology that will lead to the creation of a range of new products such as conformable and rollable electronic displays, ultra-efficient lighting and low-cost, long-life solar cells.
There are some reasons for skepticism about the Moody's estimates of the cost advantages of the hybrid system, most notably that the spread between jumbo mortgages, which are not bought by Fannie and Freddie, and conformable mortgages that go into the Fannie and Freddie pools has generally been just 25 basis points.
In both cases we have assumed a 20 percent downpayment, the standard for a conformable mortgage.
But the phrase “to appear by a name” does not necessarily imply the first revelation of that name; it rather signifies the explanation of the name, or a manner of acting conformable to the meaning of the name ….
Even in the current environment, the spread is only 90 basis points (9/10ths of a percentage point) compared with the Fannie/Freddie-backed conformable mortgages, and it is typically much less.
"They're quiet, they're conformable and the people that have got them generally really like the vehicles."
The process of ratification that the Connecticut assembly approved was, Gale charged, just “another artful maneuver” like that in Pennsylvania, “to hurry on matters before the people have a chance to understand it and so as to be able to make a judicious choice of delegates to act conformable to their own minds.”
You have behaved in a manner conformable to what is right, proper and expected.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.