from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Subordinate in capacity or function.
- adj. Obsequious; servile.
- adj. Useful as a means or an instrument; serving to promote an end.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Useful in an inferior capacity.
- adj. Obsequiously submissive.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Fitted or disposed to subserve; useful in an inferior capacity; serving to promote some end; subordinate; hence, servile, truckling.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Useful as an instrument or means to promote an end or purpose; serviceable; being of service.
- Acting as a subordinate instrument; fitted or disposed to serve in an inferior capacity; subordinate; hence, of persons and conduct, truckling; obsequious.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. abjectly submissive; characteristic of a slave or servant
- adj. serving or acting as a means or aid
- adj. compliant and obedient to authority
Latin subserviēns, subservient-, present participle of subservīre, to subserve; see subserve.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)