American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Serving to assist or supplement; auxiliary.
- adj. Secondary in importance; subordinate.
- adj. Of, relating to, or of the nature of a subsidy.
- n. One that is subsidiary to another.
- n. A subsidiary company.
- n. Music A theme subordinate to a main theme or subject.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Held ready to furnish assistance; held as a reserve.
- Lending assistance; aiding; assistant; furnishing help; ancillary.
- Furnishingsupplementary supplies: as, a subsidiary stream.
- Relating or pertaining to a subsidy; founded on or connected with a subsidy or subsidies: as, a subsidiary treaty.
- n. One who or that which contributes aid or additional supplies; an auxiliary; an assistant.
- n. In music, a subordinate theme or subject, especially in an episode of an extended work.
- adj. auxiliary or supplemental
- adj. secondary or subordinate
- adj. of, or relating to a subsidy
- n. A company owned by the parent company or holding company
- n. music a subordinate theme
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Furnishing aid; assisting; auxiliary; helping; tributary; especially, aiding in an inferior position or capacity.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a subsidy; constituting a subsidy; being a part of, or of the nature of, a subsidy.
- n. One who, or that which, contributes aid or additional supplies; an assistant; an auxiliary.
- adj. functioning in a supporting capacity
- n. a company that is completely controlled by another company
- n. an assistant subject to the authority or control of another
- Latin subsidiārius, from subsidium, support; see subsidy. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Azerbaijan-based Unileasing is seeking to acquire Parex Leasing & Factoring, the title subsidiary in Azerbaijan of Latvia's Parex Leasing.”
“On Jan. 4, 2010, Eco2 announced a deal with CarbonX Trade, which it described as a subsidiary of Lakewood, Colo. -based Green Ventures Future Fund.”
“Lender Processing Services, the Jacksonville, Fla., company whose subsidiary is the subject of a federal probe for issues related to the preparation of foreclosure documentation, fought back this week against what it said were "mischaracterizations" by the media.”
“Sprint's Clearwire Corp. subsidiary is building a network using WiMax technology, which qualifies as 4G under the common industry definition.”
“Energy is embedded in subsidiary issues including food, economics, population, pollution, and even politics.”
“The Dublin subsidiary sells advertising worldwide and was credited by Google with 88 percent of its $12.5 billion in non-U.S. sales in 2009.”
“The profits don't stay with the Dublin subsidiary, which reported pretax income of less than 1 percent of sales in 2008, according to Irish records.”
“Under current tax law, American companies pay the corporate tax rate in the host country where the subsidiary is located and then pay the difference between the U.S. rate (35%) and the foreign rate when they bring profits back to the U.S.”
“Eliminating the risk posed by Residential Capital LLC, Ally's mortgage-lending subsidiary, is critical for Ally to draw potential investors as the lender contemplates an initial public stock offering next year as the first step to unwind its $17.2 billion federal bailout.”
“Canary Wharf, the main subsidiary of Songbird Estates PLC, will hold 15% of the total venture, while its shareholders will each take an equal pro-rata share of 35% of the total venture.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘subsidiary’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
Use these and get promoted
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
This is a list of academic words for students learning English as a Second or Foreign Language. It includes 570 word families that often appear in academic texts. It does not include words that are...
Derivatives from Chapter 10 of Part One of English Words from Latin and Greek Elements
I'm just trying to increase my vocabulary, it really helps. Plus, there are so many words which I hardly use any more. I need to get back to what I was!
Looking for tweets for subsidiary.