from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or involving contribution.
- adj. Helping to bring about a result.
- adj. Subject to an impost or levy.
- n. One that contributes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or involving a contribution
- adj. Tending to contribute to a result
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Contributing to the same stock or purpose; promoting the same end; bringing assistance to some joint design, or increase to some common stock; contributive.
- n. One who contributes, or is liable to be called upon to contribute, as toward the discharge of a common indebtedness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Contributing to the same stock or purpose; promoting the same end; bringing assistance to some joint enterprise, or increase to some common stock.
- Paying contribution; tributary; subject.
- n. One who or that which contributes.
- n. In recent Eng. law, one who, by reason of being or having been a shareholder in a jointstock company, is bound, on the winding up of the company, to contribute toward the payment of its debts.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. tending to bring about; being partly responsible for
Sorry, no etymologies found.