from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having little or no importance; not essential.
- adj. Biochemistry Being a substance that is required for normal functioning but does not need to be included in the diet because of the body's ability to synthesize it from other nutrients.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not required; not essential.
- n. Something that is not essential.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not essential.
- n. A thing not essential.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not essential or necessary; not absolutely necessary.
- n. A thing that is not essential, absolutely necessary, or of the utmost consequence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. anything that is not essential
- adj. not of prime or central importance
non- + essential (Wiktionary)