from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having little or no importance; not essential.
- adj. Biochemistry Being a substance that is required for normal functioning but does not need to be included in the diet because of the body's ability to synthesize it from other nutrients.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not required; not essential.
- n. Something that is not essential.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not essential.
- n. A thing not essential.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not essential or necessary; not absolutely necessary.
- n. A thing that is not essential, absolutely necessary, or of the utmost consequence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. anything that is not essential
- adj. not of prime or central importance
I think all of the above, in a sense, and I liken it to other what I call nonessential passions that we have--golf, for example, horseback riding, neither of which are to my taste.
ZAHN: Finally this morning, the CDC has advised people to not do what they call nonessential travel to Asia because of that.
If the city can save on what it calls nonessential spending, then it might not have to cut as many jobs, leaders said.
That's why they are sometimes called "nonessential" - because the information is not essential to the main point of the sentence.
Well, speaking of operations, one operation that perhaps is underway even as we speak now is the evacuation of all U.S. personnel -- and those who are called nonessential personnel who may be within that region, either in Kuwait or any other country in the region.
The government urges "nonessential" employees to stay home.
I had an idea: If they're "nonessential," why should they come to work at all?
All "nonessential" government employees were sent home, leaving eager interns to take their place.
Finally, keep in mind that "nonessential" does not mean H1 will have no role.
Right now, I am so far behind with what I absolutely need to have done, much less the "nonessential" stuff like research.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.