American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or derived from technique.
- adj. Having special skill or practical knowledge especially in a mechanical or scientific field: a technical adviser.
- adj. Used in or peculiar to a specific field or profession; specialized: technical terminology.
- adj. Belonging or relating to a particular subject: technical expertise.
- adj. Of, relating to, or involving the practical, mechanical, or industrial arts or the applied sciences: a technical school.
- adj. Abstract or theoretical: a technical analysis.
- adj. Of, relating to, or employing the methodology of science; scientific.
- adj. According to principle; formal rather than practical: a technical advantage.
- adj. Industrial and mechanical; technological.
- adj. Relating to or based on analysis of market indicators, such as trading volume and fluctuations in securities prices, rather than underlying economic conditions such as corporate earnings, inflation, and unemployment: a technical correction in the stock market.
- n. Sports A technical foul.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the mechanical arts, or any particular art, science, profession, or trade; specially appropriate to or characteristic of any art, science, profession, or trade: as, a technical word or phrase; a word taken in a technical sense; a technical difficulty; technical skill; technical schools.
- Those things which pertain to the practical part of an art or science; technicalities; technical terms; technics.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the useful or mechanic arts, or to any academic, legal, science, engineering, business, or the like terminology with specific and precise meaning or (frequently, as a degree of distinction) shades of meaning; specially appropriate to any art, science or engineering field, or business; as, the words of an indictment must be technical.
- adj. slang A secretarial way of saying "specific".
- n. A pickup truck with a gun mounted on it.
- n. basketball A technical foul: a violation of sportsmanlike conduct, not involving physical contact.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to the useful or mechanic arts, or to any science, business, or the like; specially appropriate to any art, science, or business.
- adj. of or relating to or requiring special knowledge to be understood
- adj. resulting from or dependent on market factors rather than fundamental economic considerations
- n. a pickup truck with a gun mounted on it
- adj. of or relating to technique or proficiency in a practical skill
- n. (basketball) a foul that can be assessed on a player or a coach or a team for unsportsmanlike conduct; does not usually involve physical contact during play
- adj. of or relating to a practical subject that is organized according to scientific principles
- adj. characterizing or showing skill in or specialized knowledge of applied arts and sciences
- Latin technicus, from Ancient Greek τέχνη ("skill") (Wiktionary)
- From Greek tekhnikos, of art, from tekhnē, art; see teks- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“You may not • work around any technical limitations in the software; • reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation;" This clause completely doesn't apply. "work around any * technical* limitations in the software" well, there weren't any technical limitations, only legal ones.”
“Under \’technical information\’ there is nothing technical or informative – and only a phone number – why waste our time?”
“On top of that the defendants advocated restrictive interpretation of the term technical provision would not be tolerated in Article 29a paragraph 3 Aw.”
“In 2005, Mr. Cuiffo played interviewer John Springer opposite Lypsinka as Joan Crawford in "The Passion of the Crawford," which he described as a technical and spiritual lesson.”
“Using the word "technical" doesn't change the reality if some Treasurys aren't paid on time.”
“MILLS-FRANCIS: Well, what happens with parole violations is they have what they call technical and substantive violations.”
“We characterize things as either being part of nature — biological nutrients — or being part of technology, which we call technical nutrients.”
“ROESGEN: American says it had to comply with what it calls technical issues raised by the FAA involving wiring in the wheel wells.”
“Seriously, this is what they call technical support?”
“We have several what we call technical rescue teams that are specially trained in building collapse and in this kind of emergency.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘technical’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
Use these and get promoted
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Words that end like pickle. Listed here because they're funny (because they end like pickle).
Words that relate to bicycling or mountain biking
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
The 100 most frequent constituents of EU collocations. People working for the EU are able to complete any of these words to a multiple-word expression with ease. Try it out if you are one! For a gr...
A jumble of words, sometimes contradictory, that add up to me. I'll probably be adding to this list for some time, because I'm a very complex individual. ;P
Very basic words for ESL students.
This is a list of academic words for students learning English as a Second or Foreign Language. It includes 570 word families that often appear in academic texts. It does not include words that are...
art; science; skill
2007 Scripps National Spelling Bee Round 2
Looking for tweets for technical.