from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Offering, receiving, or dealing with instruction in many industrial arts and applied sciences: a polytechnic institute.
- n. A school specializing in the teaching of industrial arts and applied sciences.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. that teaches applied arts and sciences rather than academic subjects
- n. An educational institute that teaches applied arts and sciences rather than academic subjects
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Comprehending, or relating to, many arts and sciences; -- applied particularly to schools in which many branches of art and science are taught with especial reference to their practical application; ; also to exhibitions of machinery and industrial products.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Concerning or comprehending many arts: noting specifically educational institutions in which instruction is given in many arts, more particularly with reference to their practical application.
- n. An exhibition of objects belonging to the industrial arts and manufactures
- n. An educational institution, especially for instruction in technical subjects. A number of such institutions are in successful operation in London.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a technical school offering instruction in many industrial arts and applied sciences
poly- + technic (Wiktionary)