American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a vocation or vocations: vocational counseling.
- adj. Relating to, providing, or undergoing training in a special skill to be pursued in a trade: vocational students learning to operate a lathe.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining or relating to a vocation or occupation.
- adj. of or pertaining to a vocation
- adj. of education that provides a special skill rather than academic knowledge
- adj. of or relating to a vocation or occupation; especially providing or undergoing training in special skills
- vocation + -al (Wiktionary)
“To-day we no longer use the term vocational education in this rather general sense, but restrict its use to the specific training of individuals for some useful employment.”
“Prof. HACKER: Well, first of all, one of the problems with what we call vocational training, is that the decision is made, let's say, when a person is a senior in high school or a freshman in college.”
“You had the top group, the middle group, and what we called the vocational group.”
“The author generally tried to deal with the broader principles involved in pursuing what he calls vocational photography, without getting too deeply into specifics.”
“Returning to the states, Walker earned a doctorate in vocational education and helped open five educational centers in the Detroit area.”
“They, too, need to learn to make a living -- and would do better in vocational training.”
“We also must invest more in vocational training and provide students the tools to realize and exceed their potential.”
“Six weeks before 25% cuts in departmental budgets are unveiled, the deputy prime minister revealed that the government "was putting a lot of pressure on departments not simply to panic, and do a numerical exercise, but also think about their long-term vocational purpose".”
“- Here maximum and limited security for industrial type prisoner under 30 (Ref't'y Rahway) - Here minimum custody for older men of common labor type and men nearing time of discharge (Prison Farm Bordentown) - Here minimum security for men 18-30 trainable in vocational and agricultural work (Annandale Farms)”
“Being in vocational ministry is a serious conversation-killer, as well.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vocational’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
New word list
Congratulations to uselessness who, in no uncertain terms, sent this moderator back to school.
Looking for tweets for vocational.