from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a vocation or vocations: vocational counseling.
- adj. Relating to, providing, or undergoing training in a special skill to be pursued in a trade: vocational students learning to operate a lathe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of or pertaining to a vocation
- adj. that provides a special skill rather than academic knowledge
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining or relating to a vocation or occupation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to a vocation or occupation; especially providing or undergoing training in special skills
To-day we no longer use the term vocational education in this rather general sense, but restrict its use to the specific training of individuals for some useful employment.
Prof. HACKER: Well, first of all, one of the problems with what we call vocational training, is that the decision is made, let's say, when a person is a senior in high school or a freshman in college.
You had the top group, the middle group, and what we called the vocational group.
The author generally tried to deal with the broader principles involved in pursuing what he calls vocational photography, without getting too deeply into specifics.
Returning to the states, Walker earned a doctorate in vocational education and helped open five educational centers in the Detroit area.
They, too, need to learn to make a living -- and would do better in vocational training.
We also must invest more in vocational training and provide students the tools to realize and exceed their potential.
Six weeks before 25% cuts in departmental budgets are unveiled, the deputy prime minister revealed that the government "was putting a lot of pressure on departments not simply to panic, and do a numerical exercise, but also think about their long-term vocational purpose".
- Here maximum and limited security for industrial type prisoner under 30 (Ref't'y Rahway) - Here minimum custody for older men of common labor type and men nearing time of discharge (Prison Farm Bordentown) - Here minimum security for men 18-30 trainable in vocational and agricultural work (Annandale Farms)
Being in vocational ministry is a serious conversation-killer, as well.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.