from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Happening by accident or chance. See Synonyms at accidental.
- adj. Usage Problem Happening by a fortunate accident or chance.
- adj. Usage Problem Lucky or fortunate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Happening by chance; coincidental or accidental.
- adj. Happening by a lucky chance; lucky or fortunate.
- adj. Happening independently of human will.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Happening by chance; coming or occuring unexpectedly, or without any known cause; chance.
- adj. Happening independently of human will or means of foresight; resulting from unavoidable physical causes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Accidental; casual; happening by chance; coming or occurring without any cause, or without any general cause; random.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. occurring by happy chance
- adj. having no cause or apparent cause
Latin fortuītus.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin fōrtuītus. (Wiktionary)