from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Constituting a pension.
- adj. Mercenary; venal.
- n. A pensioner.
- n. A hireling.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. one who receives a pension; a pensioner
- n. A leading functionary and legal adviser of the principal town corporations in the Netherlands.
- adj. maintained by a pension; receiving a pension
- adj. pertaining to a pension
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Maintained by a pension; receiving a pension.
- adj. Consisting of a pension.
- n. One who receives a pension; a pensioner.
- n. One of the chief magistrates of towns in Holland.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the nature of a pension; consisting in a pension: as, a pensionary provision for maintenance.
- Maintained by a pension; receiving a pension.
- n. A person who receives a pension from government for past services, or a yearly allowance from some company or individual; a pensioner.
- n. Formerly, a chief magistrate in the larger towns of Holland.
- n. A house in which pensioners reside; formerly, at Cambridge, England, a residence for undergraduates not on the foundation of a college.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who works only for money
- n. the beneficiary of a pension fund
Sorry, no etymologies found.