from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a minister of religion or of the ministry.
- adj. Of or relating to administrative and executive duties and functions of government.
- adj. Law Of, relating to, or being a mandatory act or duty admitting of no personal discretion or judgment in its performance.
- adj. Acting or serving as an agent; instrumental.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Related to a religious minister or ministry.
- adj. Related to a governmental minister or ministry.
- adj. Having the power to wield delegated executive authority.
- adj. Serving as an instrument or means (i.e., procedural or ancillary, not substantive).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to ministry or service; serving; attendant.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the office of a minister or to the ministry as a body, whether civil or sacerdotal.
- adj. Tending to advance or promote; contributive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Performing service; ministering or ministrant; subservient; subsidiary.
- Of or pertaining to a minister or ministry of state; belonging to executive as distinguished from legislative or judicial office: as, ministerial functions.
- Pertaining to the office, character, or habits of a clergyman; clerical: as, ministerial garments.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to a minister of religion or the minister's office
- adj. of or relating to a government minister or ministry
Sorry, no etymologies found.