from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to peoples or regions lying beyond the mountains, especially the Alps.
- adj. Roman Catholic Church Supporting the authority of the papal court over national or diocesan authority.
- adj. Roman Catholic Church Relating to or supporting the doctrine of papal supremacy.
- n. One who lives beyond the mountains, especially south of the Alps.
- n. Roman Catholic Church One who advocates support of papal policy in ecclesiastical and political matters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. respecting the supremacy of the Pope.
- adj. From the other side of a mountain range, particularly the Alps.
- n. Someone who acknowledges the supremacy of the Pope
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Being beyond the mountains; specifically, being beyond the Alps, in respect to the one who speaks.
- n. One who resides beyond the mountains, especially beyond the Alps; a foreigner.
- n. One who maintains extreme views favoring the pope's supremacy. See Ultramontanism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Being or lying beyond the mountains; tramontane: opposed to cismontane.
- n. One who resides beyond the mountains; a foreigner.
- n. One who resides south of the Alps, or who identifies himself with the Italian party in the Roman Catholic Church, and maintains the doctrine of absolute papal supremacy. See ultramontanism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to ultramontanism
- adj. on the Italian or Roman side of the Alps
- n. a Roman Catholic who advocates ultramontanism (supreme papal authority in matters of faith and discipline)
- adj. on or relating to or characteristic of the region or peoples beyond the Alps from Italy (or north of the Alps)
Medieval Latin ultrāmontānus : Latin ultrā-, ultra- + Latin montānus, of mountains (from mōns, mont-, mountain; see men-2 in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)