from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A long staff with an iron point, used by mountain climbers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a stout adjustable walking stick with a metal point, used by mountain climbers and walkers in hilly or uneven terrain
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A long staff, pointed with iron, used in climbing the Alps.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A long, stout staff pointed with iron, originally used by the Alpine mountaineers, and now generally adopted by mountain-climbers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stout staff with a metal point; used by mountain climbers
German : Alpen, Alps + Stock, staff (from Middle High German stoc, from Old High German).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)