from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of an ecclesiastical or similar chapter.
- n. An ecclesiastical or civil ordinance.
- n. A set of such ordinances, especially those promulgated by Charlemagne and his successors.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of an ecclesiastical chapter
- n. A set of decrees, especially those made by the Frankish kings
- adj. Of or pertaining to a chapter
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A capitular.
- n. The body of laws or statutes of a chapter, or of an ecclesiastical council.
- n. A collection of laws or statutes, civil and ecclesiastical, esp. of the Frankish kings, in chapters or sections.
- adj. Relating to the chapter of a cathedral; capitular.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as capitular
- n. pl. capitularies (-riz). Same as capitular, 1, 2, and 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or pertaining to an ecclesiastical chapter
Medieval Latin capitulārius, from capitulum, chapter; see chapter.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)