from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a linguistic form or construction that indicates an agent or agency, as the suffix -er in singer.
- n. An agentive form or construction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Indicating an agent or agency (as -er in lexicographer).
- adj. Pertaining to a grammatical agent that performs the action of the verb.
- n. A word having this construction.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In grammar, noting the case which expresses the subject of the transitive verb in languages in which its form differs from that expressing the subject of the intransitive verb. This case is found in many American languages, for instance, in Eskimo. Also called subjective.
Sorry, no etymologies found.