American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Inclined or disposed to peace; promoting calm: They met in a peaceable spirit.
- adj. Peaceful; undisturbed.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Accompanied with or characterized by peace, quietness, or tranquillity; free from agitation, war, tumult, or disturbance of any kind; peaceful.
- Disposed to peace; not quarrelsome, rude, or boisterous.
- Synonyms Peaceful, etc. (see pacific), amicable, mild, friendly.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Begin in or at peace; tranquil; quiet; free from, or not disposed to, war, disorder, or excitement; not quarrelsome.
- adj. disposed to peace or of a peaceful nature
- adj. not disturbed by strife or turmoil or war
- adj. inclined or disposed to peace
- From Anglo-Norman pesible, peisible, Middle French paisible, from pais ("peace") + -ible; later remodelled after peace + -able. (Wiktionary)
“But the grandson of your abjured and repudiated Josephine, shall, after many vicissitudes, obtain peaceable possession of the throne of France; and shall be the chief ally and friend of your enemy England.”
“At that same moment Caspar’s personality seemed to arise from its baby fug and it struck me that the tiny human person sitting across from me might be described as peaceable, sensitive, reflective, self-possessed.”
“Now, was it fair to call a peaceable inhabitant like me into the thick of a fray like this?”
“Theologians exact as necessary qualities of this possession that it should be peaceable, that is, not assailed by lawsuits, sure, uninterrupted, and open, that is, not clandestine.”
“They are called a peaceable remedy, and we have been told that South Carolina, after all, intends nothing but a lawsuit.”
“Its characteristic feature is a formal observance of peace and order, at the same time that life at this stage still has too much of coercion and class antagonism to be called peaceable in the full sense of the word.”
“For calling our peaceable meetings riots, which in the legal notion of the word riot is a contradiction in terms, they indicted our friends as rioters for only sitting in a meeting, though nothing was there either said or done by them, and then set fines on them at pleasure.”
“Pierre Leroi was known as a peaceable cattle-trader in the markets of his province.”
“Edgar was called the peaceable, because there were no attacks by the”
“Now, was it fair to call a peaceable inhabitant like me into the thick of”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘peaceable’.
Please contribute your favorite words from any of Gene Wolfe’s books to this prize-winning list.
In case you come across words in this list which are too commonplace to fit in, please ...
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
able to; capable of being; worthy of being; having qualities of; tending to
Interesting words, mostly from The Economist and other newspapers.
Looking for tweets for peaceable.