from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who loves, supports, or favours peace; one who is pro-peace.
- n. One who avoids violence.
- n. One who opposes violence and is anti-war.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Adhering to pacifism; opposed to war; -- of people.
- n. A person opposed to violence as a means of settling disputes.
- n. A person whose strong belief in pacifism causes him/her to refuse to participate in military activities, especially one who refuses to be drafted into the armed forces.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. opposed to war
- n. someone opposed to violence as a means of settling disputes
Sorry, no etymologies found.
If the term pacifist means "strongly opposed to war except in rare circumstances" then Channing was a pacifist, as is almost everybody.
If you accept this, it leads to what I call pacifist-anarchism, a view I was committed to for a while in high school and my first year of college.
An objection to coercion rooted in pacifist-anarchism evolved into the objections to coercion that inform modern libertariansim.
Why do you beleive that to be a pacifist is wrong??
One such person whom no one could credibly describe as a knee-jerk pacifist is retired Army Col. Pete Mansoor.
Elvis (#41): being a pacifist is not a sign of weakness.
A pacifist is working in some job which gives him access to important military information, and is approached by a German secret agent.
She identified as a pacifist, socialist and member of the IWW, the Industrial Workers of the World.
And according to Lelyvard, Gandhi the pacifist was a wife-beater, denied sex to his wife for decades, was purported to be a "celibate" living life as an ascetic, but actually was a pedophile who ritualized sleeping naked with underage girls in order to test "the ferocity of his sexual desires," and at one point left his wife for a male lover.
But we, the radicals, the peacemakers, the hippies, the pacifist are the only ones who will have your back when governments send you to die for an idea or some oil.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.