from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not resistant, especially to a disease or an environmental factor, such as heat or moisture.
- adj. Submissively obedient.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. not resistant
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Making no resistance.
- n. One who maintains that no resistance should be made to constituted authority, even when unjustly or oppressively exercised; one who advocates or practices absolute submission.
- n. One who holds that violence should never be resisted by force
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Making no resistance to power or oppression; passively obedient.
- n. One who maintains that no resistance should be made to sovereign authority, even when unjustly exercised.
- n. One who holds that violence should never be resisted by force.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. offering no resistance
- adj. (often followed by `to') likely to be affected with
- n. a reformer who believes in passive resistance
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It happens whenever, by some wondrous "coincidence," our heart space, our mind space, and our body awareness are all simultaneously open and nonresistant.
How about something more neutral or positive, like “nonresistant”?
The bacterial strain was able to grow in a solution containing 24 times the dose of mercury that would kill nonresistant bacteria—and removed more than 80% of the mercury in five days.
Eating meat with nonresistant staph can cause food poisoning from "heat-stable" toxins, the paper said, while "the presence of MRSA in meats may pose a potential threat of infection to individuals who handle the food."
With one finger and without using force but instead using a relaxed nonresistant touch, I put this man on the ground.
They were initially treated with antibiotics that can obliterate nonresistant staph infections -- the type normally seen outside hospitals.
The boundaries of Ecoregion 64a generally occur at the limit of nonresistant Triassic deposits.
Ecoregion 60, in northeastern Pennsylvania, is a plateau made up of horizontally bedded, nonresistant shales and siltstones and moderately resistant sandstones of Devonian age.
But the thing is, with the nonresistant strains, the quinolones are really effective.
Minnich is actually looking at testing microevolution using bacteria that develop antibiotic resistance and why the nonresistant strain takes over when removed from that environment.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.