American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not offensive; giving no offense; doing no harm; not causing disturbance or uneasiness; free from anything of a displeasing or disturbing nature: as, an inoffensive animal; inoffensive remarks.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Giving no offense, or provocation; causing no uneasiness, annoyance, or disturbance.
- adj. Harmless; doing no injury or mischief.
- adj. rare Not obstructing; presenting no interruption or hindrance.
- adj. giving no offense
- adj. not causing anger or annoyance
- adj. substituting a mild term for a harsher or distasteful one
- in- + offensive. (Wiktionary)
“The gentleman pleaded for himself, that "in truth" was a word inoffensive, even in his judgment who accused him.”
“If the author convenes religious beliefs in inoffensive and unobtrusive manner (King did this in “The Stand” and it was perfectly digestible) or turn it in a underlying message, that's perfectly fine with me - but don’t drop it fervently right on top of my head.”
“If you were being polite you'd call it inoffensive.”
“Whereas the Caingwas may be described as inoffensive Indians, the inhabitants of the Chaco are _savages_, hostile to the white man, who only here and there, with their permission, has settled on the river bank.”
“The rules of the Petrolia Oil Exchange provide that refined kerosene shall be of the odor "locally known as inoffensive," and shall”
“Keene was at no loss to recall inoffensive phrases; in another long speech, full of cajolery sufficiently artful for the occasion, he represented himself as having merely protested against misrepresentations obviously sharpened by malice.”
“Who was she, the old witch, for so he mentally termed the inoffensive woman devoutly conning her prayer book, unconscious of the wrath her presence was exciting in the bosom of the young man beside her!”
“It's funny that to get anything done in the Puget Sound, you have to exhibit these schizophrenic qualities so as to have a broad and "inoffensive" appeal.”
“He's spent his political career as a relatively inoffensive which is saying something in Illinois glorified accountant.”
“It's the kind of inoffensive stuff that does well on Volkswagen commercials and in coffee shops.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘inoffensive’.
My big word list.
Looking for tweets for inoffensive.