American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To make or become straight or straighter.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make straight, in any sense; specifically, to reduce from a crooked to a straight form.
- To become straight; assume a straight form.
- See straiten.
- v. transitive To cause to become straight.
- v. intransitive To become straight.
- v. transitive To put in order; to sort; to tidy up.
- v. transitive To clarify a situation or concept to (an audience).
- v. transitive, slang To bribe or corrupt.
- v. intransitive To stand up, especially from a sitting position.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To make straight; to reduce from a crooked to a straight form.
- v. To make right or correct; to reduce to order.
- v. Obs. or R. A variant of straiten.
- v. make straight
- v. make straight or straighter
- v. put (things or places) in order
- v. straighten up or out; make straight
- v. straighten by unrolling
- v. get up from a sitting or slouching position
- From straight + -en (Wiktionary)
“Went down stairs for dinner around 9pm where we were waited upon by a Chateau waiter who was fully obsessive compulsive and actually came by to "straighten" my silver wear at one point and bullied us into all ordering the same beverage.”
“Does it mean pick up as in "straighten" or pick up as in "yank up?”
“Similarly, despite the efforts of Scott and Paxton to "straighten" The Brick Foxhole, the homosocial and potentially homoerotic bonds between men represented by Brooks could not be completely excised from Crossfire.”
“It is hard to imagine that Scott and Paxton intended the scene in this way, given their other overt attempts to "straighten" The Brick Foxhole.”
“` ` Then they kind of straighten their faces out. '' ...”
“Some genius has started a Pisa pushers group on Flicker, featuring third party pics of tourists attempting to 'straighten' the Leaning Tower of Pisa.”
“Phil Bowermaster endeavors to "straighten" the public out on two issues on which it is "desperately misinformed.”
“Senior analyst Jeff Greenfield is here to kind of straighten it all out for us.”
“Elizabeth Cohen, you are able to kind of straighten this out for us a little bit.”
“You run your hand in it and kind of straighten it out.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘straighten’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Very basic words for ESL students.
Verbs constructed with the -en suffix.
Looking for tweets for straighten.