American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A native or inhabitant of the south, especially the southern United States.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An inhabitant or a native of the south; a southern or southron; specifically, an inhabitant of the southern United States.
- n. A native or inhabitant of the south of a region (or of the world as a whole), such as the United Kingdom.
- n. Alternative capitalization of Southerner (someone from one of the southeastern United States).
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An inhabitant or native of the south, esp. of the Southern States of North America; opposed to
- n. an American who lives in the South
“Instead spoke about states right, which was, as you well know as a southerner, a code word for what a lot of people believe to be racism.”
“I have lived all over this great country and the true test of an authentic southerner is how he (she) phrases the above mentioned conflict, civil war, (northern term) war between the states (Midwesterner), war of northern aggression (true southern child).”
“Perhaps Ray Marshall's days as a kid football player may help explain why this quiet southerner is holding his own in Washington.”
“Jonathan is a southerner, meaning that should he take over if the president leaves office as the constitution states, he would be under pressure not to stand in 2011 presidential elections.”
“The Gineral was takin 'a ride with a southerner one day over his farm to Bangor in Maine, to see his crops, fixin mill privileges and what not, and the southerner was a turning up his nose at every thing amost, proper scorney, and braggin' how things growed on his estate down south.”
“As a lifelong southerner, what part of the Civil War am I suppose to be celebrating???”
“As a southerner, President Jimmy has grown up surrounded by images and examples of racism.”
“BRIEF SYNOPSIS: Arrested and imprisoned for murder, Amiw spirit walker Sjenn carries abilities that make her a reluctant teacher to the southerner Captain Jarrett Fawle, who possesses the same abilities that set him apart from the rest of his people, and unwittingly make him a pawn for larger forces around him.”
“Perry means here to win back the presidency by a ‘white president’, preferably ‘white southerner’, with reference to anti-Obama protesters ‘taking their country back’.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘southerner’.
Looking for tweets for southerner.