from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A gawky adolescent boy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An awkward adolescent boy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A youth between boy and man; an awkward, gawky young fellow .
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A stripling; a youth in the half-formed age preceding manhood; a raw, awkward youth.
- n. A large unmanageable top.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an awkward bad-mannered adolescent boy
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Scots. Compare English dialect hobbledygee with a limping movement; also French hobereau, a country squire, English hobby, and Old French hoi today; perhaps the original sense was "an upstart of today". (Wiktionary)