from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A common Eurasian bird (Crex crex) with a short bill and brownish-yellow plumage, found in grain fields and meadows.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bird of the rail family, Crex crex, that breeds in meadows and arable farmland across Europe and western Asia, migrating to Africa in winter.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bird (Crex crex or Crex pratensis) which frequents grain fields; the European crake or land rail; -- called also corn bird.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A common European bird of the rail family (Rallidæ), the Crex pratensis, or land-rail: so called because it frequents corn-fields. See crake.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. common Eurasian rail that frequents grain fields
Sorry, no etymologies found.