from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Introduction of nutritive material into the stomach by means of a tube.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A process of force-feeding a goose for foie gras
- n. A process of force-feeding cattle for veal
- n. Feeding by means of a tube passed into the stomach
- v. To stuff or glut with something
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Forced feeding (as of poultry or infants) by means of a tube passed through the mouth down to the stomach.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A system of fattening poultry for market by forcing them to swallow fixed quantities of food at stated intervals.
- n. In medicine, a similar method of forced feeding, employed under certain conditions.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. feeding that consists of the delivery of a nutrient solution (as through a nasal tube) to someone who cannot or will not eat
French, from gaver, to force down the throat, ultimately from Old French gave, throat, from Vulgar Latin *gaba.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French gavage, from gaver ("to stuff or cram") (Wiktionary)